Director of the Biomodel Platform for Human Research (BBioH)
I study the mechanisms of cell regeneration and its relevance in CNS neurodegeneration and insult, especially in Parkinson’s disease and brain ischemia. The focus of the investigation is on the role of astrocytes as a mediator of neuronal metabolism and viability. The experimental models we use can range from in vitro cultures of rat adult neural stem cells (NSCs) to patient-derived pluripotent stem cells (iPS).
- Brain organoids
- Rat cell cultures (primary culture of post-natal SVZ-NSCs, organotypic)
- Brain focal ischemia (intraluminal Middle Cerebral Artery Occlusion)
- Human iPS-derived glia and neurons • Immunological assays (immunofluorescence, whole mount, Western blot)
- Metabolic and biochemistry assays
- Molecular assays (PCR, PLA)
Universidad de La Laguna (Tenerife), HM CINAC (Madrid), CIMA (Pamplona), Biocruces Bizkaia (Barakaldo), Universitè de Bordeaux, Università di Roma Tor Vergata, University of Oxford, Universitäts klinikum Hamburg Eppendorf.