Mission, Vision and Objectives
The Basque Country has tackled the challenge of becoming a relevant node in the European network of bioregions. The BioBasque initiative established in 2000 and the current Basque RIS3 strategies are the framework for our own strategy.
The strategic objectives of ACHUCARRO and the strategic elements and operations we deploy are designed according to this framework and are approved by the Board of Trustees of the Foundation.
Achucarro Basque Center for Neuroscience is
- A research centre fostered by Ikerbasque and the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU),
- Devoted to the training and research in the biology of the neuron-glia interactions,
- Committed to equal opportunities,
- So we can contribute, in collaboration with other agents, in the discovery of new therapies for brain diseases.
In the year 2021, ACHUCARRO strives to be consolidated as an international reference in the research of glial cells in health and disease.
- Being an active agent in the attraction of talent and international resources to our region.
- Generating relevant knowledge and scientific results that contribute to improve the well-being of the Society.
The objectives defined by the Board of Trustees of the Achucarro Center in the Foundation Bylaws are:
- Create a centre of international-class research aimed at basic research, postgraduate training and knowledge transfer in neuroscience.
- Committed to provide equal opportunities
- Develop and pursue targeted and strategic basic research in neuroscience and will be specified in the Research Programme of the centre. In particular, the centre will promote research in the field of neuron-glia interactions and its changes during the aging process.
- Encourage the production, promotion and dissemination of scientific and technical knowledge. The centre will direct its efforts to extend the R&D associated with pathological processes related to the above areas, such as Alzheimer's disease, multiple sclerosis, cerebral ischemia and other neurodegenerative processes such as, Parkinson's disease or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
- Promote activities in research and postgraduate training for the consolidation of the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU) as a centre of international importance in education, research, transfer and innovation in the area of neuroscience.
- Improve the capacity of the Basque Science System and the University of the Basque Country (UPV/ EHU) in attracting competitive funding and research talent to boost research efforts in the field of glia-neuron interaction and therapeutic applications.
- Promote scientific collaboration in the field of neuroscience with universities, research centres, technology centres and companies in the Basque Country and at the national and international spheres.
- Organise national and international scientific meetings related to research activity and training in of Achucarro in the wide area of neuroscience.
- To obtain projects, industrial contracts, equity, scholarships, and grants provided by both public institutions and by private individuals and legal entities, to finance actions to facilitate the achievement of the founding objectives.
- Any other activity that contributes to achieve the foundational goals of the centre.