Open call for the position of
of Achucarro Basque centre for Neuroscience
Achucarro Basque Center for Neuroscience (ACHUCARRO) is research institute in the field of neuroscience located in the Scientific Park of the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU) near Bilbao. The centre is part of the Basque Excellence Research Centres' network supported by the Basque Government to develop excellent science in strategic areas of research for the Basque Country and Europe. ACHUCARRO works in frontier and translational research in the field of biology of the neuron-glia interactions. The Board of Trustees of ACHUCARRO is willing to receive applications for the position of Scientific Director of this research organisation.
The new Scientific Director should prove excellent scientific background in the field of neurobiology, paired with strategy and leadership skills to lead the consolidation of the centre for the future years. Only applicants with a strong scientific background will be considered.
The Scientific Director should be a person with a solid research track record in the area of neuroscience and at least 15 years research experience after the completion of the PhD. She/He should also have experience in defining strategies, developing management duties, and have international reputation in the field. Expected candidates may also demonstrate a record of invited presentations in well-established international conferences, granted projects, awards, prizes, etc.
The position will carry a permanent contract, competitive salary and good working conditions to establish and develop a solid research project in ACHUCARRO. The envisaged starting date of the position will be the second semester of 2020 (or at the earliest convenience of the appointed candidate).
Duties and responsibilities of the position
Reporting to the Board of Trustees, and in coordination with the Scientific Advisory Committee (ISAC) of ACHUCARRO, the Scientific Director as leader of the research centre will:
- Define and implement the strategy for the 2022 – 2025 period
- Define the long-term research strategy and research lines of the centre
- Propose and direct the deployment of the annual scientific plans
- Set and be responsible for the accomplishment of the strategic objectives
- Obtain national and international research funding
- Identify and attract the necessary research personnel at senior and junior level, with a special commitment to coaching, mentoring and development of Research Line leaders
- Develop the international research collaborations
- Be capable and skilled at media relations and public speaking with both scientific and lay audiences
- Endorse and commit to the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers
Requirements for applicants
Recognised scientific excellence in the field of neurobiology:
- The Scientific Director should be a person with a proven research track in the area of neuroscience and at least 15 years research experience after the completion of the PhD.
- Leadership in people and teams in academic/research environments– at least 5 years in duties related to managing research teams on various levels and skills and experience in supporting and nurturing the careers of younger scientists.
- Demonstrated experience and a long-term successful record in obtaining research funding and managing and directing scientific research programmes, including a commitment to scientific excellence and accompanying energy, enthusiasm, and innovative thinking necessary to facilitate and foster research efforts at the forefront of science.
- Strong sense of responsibility, initiative and self-motivation along with an ambition to develop the research centre to a world-class standard.
- Proven capacity to take decisions, both at strategic and operational level.
- Language: English proficiency
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest, including a brief description of research and leadership experience and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Opening date: February 14th, 2020
Closing date: April 30th, 2020 (17:00 PM, CET)
2) Selection procedure
- Collection of applications (abridged CV, motivation letter and a research statement about his/her establishment in ACHUCARRO) until the end of the call
- Pre-screening of candidates by appointed Evaluation Committee
- Interviews of preselected candidates by Evaluation Committee
- Final appointment: formal approval by the Board and appointment in the position
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Appointment to start in late 2020 or at the earliest convenience of the selected candidate