Mission, Vision and Objectives
The Basque Country has tackled the challenge of becoming a relevant node in the European network of bioregions since early in this new millennium. The BioBasque initiative is facing a new strategic period, and also at European level, the Horizon 2020 strategy guides our own strategy. The Achucarro centre is one of the BERC research centres fostered by the Basque Government in strategic areas of research for the Basque Country.
Achucarro Basque Center for Neuroscience is
- the research center fostered by Ikerbasque and the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU),
- devoted to fundamental and translational research in neuron-glial biology,
- for the discovery of new therapies for brain diseases,
- in cooperation with the local community and networked with the international institutions in the field of neuroscience,
- with the aim of contributing to the training of future neuroscientists.
In the year 2017, Achucarro Basque Center for Neuroscience strives to lead and coordinate the Basque efforts to advance in the neuroscience knowledge, by:
- Establishing a world-class research center, with internationally recognized research groups and state of the art equipment and facilities,
- To contribute to the understanding of the human brain in the field of neuron-glial biology,
- For generating relevant knowledge and scientific results that contribute to the well-being of the Society.
The objectives defined by the Board of Trustees of the Achucarro Center in the Foundation Bylaws are:
- Create a centre of international-class research aimed at basic research, postgraduate training and knowledge transfer in neuroscience.
- Develop and pursue targeted and strategic basic research in neuroscience and will be specified in the Research Programme of the centre. In particular, the centre will promote research in the field of neuron-glia interactions and its changes during the aging process.
- Encourage the production, promotion and dissemination of scientific and technical knowledge. The centre will direct its efforts to extend the R&D associated with pathological processes related to the above areas, such as Alzheimer's disease, multiple sclerosis, cerebral ischemia and other neurodegenerative processes such as, Parkinson's disease or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
- Promote activities in research and postgraduate training for the consolidation of the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU) as a centre of international importance in education, research, transfer and innovation in the area of neuroscience.
- Improve the capacity of the Basque Science System and the University of the Basque Country (UPV/ EHU) in attracting competitive funding and research talent to boost research efforts in the field of glia-neuron interaction and therapeutic applications.
- Promote scientific collaboration in the field of neuroscience with universities, research centres, technology centres and companies in the Basque Country and at the national and international spheres.
- Organise national and international scientific meetings related to research activity and training in of Achucarro in the wide area of neuroscience.
- To obtain projects, industrial contracts, equity, scholarships, and grants provided by both public institutions and by private individuals and legal entities, to finance actions to facilitate the achievement of the founding objectives.
- Any other activity that contributes to achieve the foundational goals of the centre.